06 December 2011

Washington, D.C. Supporters Club



Today is the first day I have decided to pursue my dream of having a City supporters club here in the Washington, D.C. metro area.  I have thought about this carefully for a few years now and yet I am still a bit nervous. I want to make sure it all goes right so that I can get all the local fans together to watch matches and to make new friends.

I setup the official Twitter account @ManCityDC and a Facebook group  I came home after a few hours out and found over 40 new followers and 10 new additions on the Facebook group.  I was pretty happy to see that and I got some positive feedback about doing it.  I know the Air Force gave me the leadership skills needed to put something like this together and I am thankful for it.

Now that I got all that emotional stuff out there are decisions to make about how to get everyone together and still be fair.  This area has the worst traffic, and some people use mass transit.  We have people living in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.  I think I will contact some local pubs to see where we can lay our hats.  The biggest issue is most times the matches are between 10AM and noon on a Saturday and Sunday.  so any place we find has to have the ability to feed us, bring us pints and have all the networks we need to watch.

I also know I am going to need help in running this thing, and besides I want people to feel ownership of what we are creating.   I hope to put together a website if needed, but for now I think Facebook can handle our needs. I encourage anyone to post some feedback of ideas as well.   Well I'm off, looking forward to a bright future for this group!

No comments:

Post a Comment